* 2 large eggs
* 1 can (12 fluid ounces)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 8 to 10 slices (3/4-inch-thick) firm, day-old French bread
* Unsalted butter
* Maple syrup
* Fresh seasonal berries or sliced fruit
HEAT large skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
BEAT eggs in shallow pan or large pie plate; whisk in evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Whisk in sugar, flour and salt. Add several slices of bread; soak without over saturating.
SWIRL 1 tablespoon butter in hot skillet. Remove bread from batter, allowing excess batter to drip off; transfer prepared bread to skillet in single layer. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over; cook for an additional 2 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately with syrup and berries. Continue with remaining bread slices, adding 1 tablespoon butter to skillet for each new batch.